HISTORY OF GOOD SHEPHERD
Good Shepherd Catholic School has a long and proud history of providing a quality, Catholic education to children of Cecil and Harford County for over 60 years.
When we opened our doors for first time on September 7, 1957 Johnny Unitas was en route to winning his first National Football League MVP with the Colts, there were only 48 stars on the flag, and Masses were still said in Latin.
Father William R. Couming came to Good Shepherd parish with a vision of bringing Catholic education to western Cecil County. His dream has grown over the past seven decades into what today is Good Shepherd Catholic School. Through the dedicated help of parishioners, family and friends the school has grown from two classes being taught by two nuns to our current structure of students ranging from pre-kindergarten through 8th grade taught by a staff of 22 educators.
Through the years Good Shepherd has continued many long standing annual events including Christmas Bazaars, Silent Auctions, spaghetti dinners, Fall Festivals, Field days, Geography and Spelling Bees, band concerts, Christmas programs, and May Crowning. The school also continues several traditions such as class prayer services, honors breakfasts, sacramental preparation, charitable outreach efforts, all you can eat breakfasts and field trips. Students participate in activities such as yearbook, chess club, cheerleading, drama, volleyball, Girl Scouts, basketball and student council. We look forward to continuing these traditions and introducing others as we move into the future.
We are proud of our over 50 year history here on Aiken Avenue. While the world has changed around us we have stayed very true to our mission. That our school will provide an education which is strong in academics and rooted in Gospel values.
The following will highlight the key events in our journey thus far.
1954—1st Annual Summer Festival originally called the "Home Made Ice Cream Festival"
1956 – Father Couming purchased the convent and 8 acres of land for the school.
1957—September 7th the school opened, in the convent, with 23 1st graders and 15 2nd graders. The school was founded by the Sister of Saint Joseph.
1959 – The school moved to its new permanent building and the swings and merry-go-round were added to the already existing train tracks.
1962—The auditorium was added to the building, the school parking lot was paved and the bingo program was launched
1963—The auditorium was air-conditioned.
1970—Two additional classrooms were added to the school structure.
1988—Extended care and band programs were introduced.
1994—The daily hot lunch program was offered.
1996—Modular classrooms were added to house the junior high program.
1997—The first computer lab was established.
1998—School is accredited by the Middle States Association.
2000—The last woman religious to teach at Good Shepherd retires
2002- Good Shepherd School Opens with 234 students enrolled. (Our largest to date)
2003—Inception of Good Shepherd’s chapter of the National Junior Honor Society.
2005—Mary’s Garden was created.
2007—Renovations were made to the bathroom facilities to make the school ADA compliant.
2008—The pre kindergarten program was added and the main offices and library were renovated.
2009—The computer lab was renovated with more updated equipment and the pre-kindergarten playground was created as part of an Eagle Scout project.
2009-Good Shepherd adds a school nurse and a school guidance counselor.